This article is based off the awesome explanation from Dokucraft, who also have some great projects available on CurseForge.
Take me to...
- How to set up Minecraft Dungeons for modding (Launcher version)
- How to set up Minecraft Dungeons for modding (Windows Store version)
How to set up Minecraft Dungeons for modding (Launcher version)
- Open the launcher and click on Minecraft Dungeons in the left sidebar, then on the Installation tab at the top.
- Go to the folder shown under "Minecraft Dungeons Installation".
- From the installation folder, go to
- Create a new folder here called
~mods(yes, with a
~) and put your mods in this new folder.
- When you want to launch the game, do it by running the
Dungeons.exefile in your
Please note! Running the game through the launcher will remove any mods you have installed.
How to set up Minecraft Dungeons for modding (Windows Store version)
The Windows Store version of Minecraft Dungeons normally won't let you modify its files/folders. To get around this issue, follow these steps:
- Temporarily disable any antivirus software. Most will detect that an unknown script is being run and try to stop it.
- If you use Bitdefender, you need to uninstall it before continuing, as it breaks the script even when turned off.
- Make sure you have at least 10 GBs of space free.
- Make sure your game is up to date. To do this, press Win + R, enter
ms-windows-store://DownloadsAndUpdates/and press enter. Then, press "Get updates" in the top right corner of the window that opens.
- Install Visual C++ Redist. Even if you think you have it installed, try the installer. You may have an older version that won't work.
- Click the Windows icon in the bottom left corner and enter
powershellthen click "Run as Administrator"
- Paste this command into PowerShell and press enter:
Set-ExecutionPolicy -Scope Process Bypass;mkdir C:\mcdtemp; Invoke-WebRequest -Uri "https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/715508829458006077/790882159187591168/installscript.ps1" -OutFile C:\mcdtemp\winstore.ps1; C:\mcdtemp\winstore.ps1
- It might ask you about an "Execution Policy Change" - Just press A and then Enter. In some languages, the key you need to press might be different. It should be the one next to "Yes to all".
- You will be asked to select a folder. Choose an empty folder where you want the game to be moved to. Do not choose a folder in Program Files or One Drive, it will break things.
The game will open at one point. Do not close it when this happens.
~modsfolder will appear. This is where you place your mods.
- To launch the modded version of the game, press the Windows icon in the bottom left corner and look for
Minecraft Dungeons [Modding]
If you run into any issues while/after patching the game, some of these things might help you.
- If the game didn't open at all while patching and the patching didn't work, try opening the game manually before running the patcher. Keep the game open until it either closes by itself or the patcher finishes.
- If you get an error saying it can't verify your ownership of the game, you must have launched the game using the .exe file. Don't do that. Run the game from the start menu, like the setup steps above says.